Thursday, March 11, 2010

March 11 (Day 11) Helping the unemployed

Unemployment is a huge problem, affecting millions of individuals and families.  Nationally, 1 in 10 Americans is out of work.  In Michigan, our unemployment rate is 14.3% and is currently the highest of all 50 states.  If you are one of those affected by unemployment, the situation can seem very bleak.  I fall into the catagory of the long term unemployed... I have been out of work for 8 months.  That is one reason I decided to start this blog.  The need around us is so great!  Unemployment can bring about feelings of a loss of sense of purpose and dignity. Investing in the lives of others, even in small ways, brings about a sense of purpose and personal joy!  Charities and programs are feeling the crunch because people do not have the money to donate and they (charities) are being stretched to their capacity because the need is so great and many more people need assistance.

Today's project is to highlight ways to help the unemployed. All of us know someone who is without a job. A friend, neighbor or family member who could use a little help.  Even if you do not have a lot of money to spare, there are some low cost/ no cost ways you can help unemployed individuals and families:

One thing I did was to buy two $10 gas cards and I took them with me to my local unemployment office.  I struck up a conversation with 2 individuals at the office and found out they were long term unemployed also.  One was a single mom and the other a married father.  I gave them the gas cards and they were so grateful. My small act of kindness gave them a small boost but gave me a huge lift.  It felt wonderful!  If this is something you might want to do, you can find out where your nearest Unemployment Office is located by searching Google - Unemploment Offices & (Your State).

Check out this article http://momadvice.com/blog/2009/10/how-you-can-help-the-unemployed-today for many other simple ways you can help the unemployed. 

Is this something you can help with? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Japan Earthquake Relief

Shop My Zazzle Store


Make personalized gifts at Zazzle.