Thursday, March 18, 2010

March 18 (Day 18) Making Prom Memories

Prom is around the corner...
Clean out your closet and help a young person in need experience their Prom.



DonateMyDress is the first national campaign designed to encourage girls around the country to donate their prom and special occasion dresses to those who cannot afford them for prom, sweet 16, quinceaƱera or formals. The site features a directory of local dress drive organizations across the U.S. that will enable girls to easily find out where in their local markets they can donate or receive a dress. In addition, DonateMyDress.org contains information on upcoming events and special promotions, a photo gallery of real girls donating and receiving dresses, as well as links to content on prom and quinceaƱera planning, hair and makeup tips, and other worthy causes.

Rather than me telling you about the great work of the charities listed on this site, I thought I would include a couple letters from the site:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Cinderella's Trunk,
I am a senior in high school and homeless. I live with my mom in our station wagon. I'm lucky that I get two free meals at school every day. Some days my mom doesn't get to eat. It's been like this ever since my dad left. I already knew there was no way I was going to any dances this year. Then, when I had my visit with my school counselor, she told me about you. And did I find the perfect dress! It was a lot of fun to come in and have a person dedicated to helping me. I must have tried on 30 dresses and she didn't care that I was taking a long time, she was so friendly and fun - and she knew all about fashion and what dresses look good on my body type, and what colors look good on me. I felt like Cinderella when she helped me find shoes to match!

She helped me with jewelry and makeup, and even gave me the undergarments I needed for my dress. And a gift certificate for dinner at the Keg! I'm coming back for prom - and I already know which dress I want! Thank you for making my dream come true.


Kelsey
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Seventeen.com,

The year of my high school prom, I was homeless and living in a car or sleeping outside on the street. I had nothing other than my (very few) school supplies and the clothes on my back, but I knew if I kept going to work and school, I would be OK. I just wanted a real prom and when I picked up the flier for the Princess Project at school, it made all the difference. Because of them I was able to have a real prom with a dress, accessories, and makeup! There's no way I would have been able to do that before and I can' t thank them enough for making my year a little more enjoyable.



Rachel
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you would like to donate a dress or your services to your local organization, click on the site  http://www.donatemydress.org/donate.html and search for your state.  There are listings of organizations by state.  Contact information is given for each state listing.  If there is not an organization in your area, there are national listings or consider starting an organization to service your area.   Can you help out any of these great organizations?

Source: Donate my Dress
Related link: http://www.donatemydress.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Japan Earthquake Relief

Shop My Zazzle Store


Make personalized gifts at Zazzle.