Tuesday, April 13, 2010

April 13 (Day 44) - Helping Families Fighting Breast Cancer

Recently my mom told me of a family at her Church that was losing their home.  This family has also been battling  Breast Cancer. Their wife/mother was diagnosed with breast a couple years ago and the cancer has slowly progressed over this time.  Her prognosis has gotten worse and she is now at the point where the cancer is considered terminal. You shouldn't have to fight a battle for your life and worry about losing your house all at the same time. 


Today's cause holds a special place in my heart because I can see how necessary and valuable the work of The Pink Fund can be. I have several family members who have been diagnosed with Breast Cancer. We rejoice because my mother is a Breast Cancer survivor and sadly, we lost my sister to Inflammatory Breast Cancer in 2008. I have written about her on my "inspiration" page. Fortunately, we did not need to take advantage of a charity such as The Pink Fund, but I thank God they are around for those who need them. 



The Pink Fund was founded by Molly MacDonald, a breast cancer survivor, with the mission to help women (and men) fighting breast cancer focus on healing, raising their families and returning to the workplace. The Pink Fund will provide short term financial aid during the brief period of treatment and recovery. Literally millions of dollars are being raised for early detection, research and programs for the medically underserved. Families facing breast cancer urgently need financial help now.



Check out the PinkBlog.  Here is an excerpt from a recent post:  


I thought about The Pink Fund and my desire from the very beginnings of my breast cancer journey, when this idea began to form in my head, because of my own experience with the financial fallout that can come from a breast cancer diagnosis, to make a difference in the lives of a sister or brother survivor and their families while fighting this disease.


A financial fallout not just because of the added medical bills, the co-pays and prescriptions insurance does not cover. But because of the potential for job loss, the inability to work due to side affects so numbing your feet and fingers fail you and you begin to wonder if you are going mad, because you can’t remember from one minute to the next, or put together a cohesive sentence, and so rather than risk talking you simply shut up and suffer.


Initially, I never considered the work of The Pink Fund in terms of how many women we could help, knowing it would start with one and then another and another. I haven’t really taken the time to count all the pink file folders holding poignant letters humbly asking for help.


I only know that every day,every week, every month, our team sits down to address the issues a breast cancer patient faces when he or she cannot make the mortgage, worries about the lights or heat being turned off, makes a decision to not pay an automobile insurance premium, because darn it, I need this car to get to treatment and work, but if I pay my insurance, Edison is going to turn my lights off and Consumers might literally leave me out in the cold!


I only know from the files of heartfelt thank-you notes for “saving my life”, “being like family” , “giving me hope” “because I am crying happy tears for the first time in months” that The Pink Fund is creating day by day, week by week, month by month, year by year some kind of record for providing help and instilling hope in another human being. 
Thank you Molly MacDonald for inspiring us with your compassion for others! 
Please consider partnering with The Pink Fund to help families battling breast cancer.
Click here to help.

Source: The Pink Fund

No comments:

Post a Comment

Japan Earthquake Relief

Shop My Zazzle Store


Make personalized gifts at Zazzle.