Sunday, April 4, 2010

April 4 (Day 35) Inspire Greatness All Around You

"The way you get meaning into your life is to devote yourself to loving others, devote yourself to your community around you, and devote yourself to creating something that gives you purpose and meaning." -Mitch Albom



This quote comes courtesy of a truly inspiring blog... YEAR OF GIVING - written by Reed, a blogger residing in Washington, D.C., to chronicle a year long experiment of giving away $10. everyday.  I promise you will be inspired by each day's story.  I really have to say, I Love this site.  In an earlier post on this blog, I wrote on how I gave $10 gas cards to 2 unemployed people. Being unemployed myself, that was something that was meaningful to me.  That was a great experience, bringing  joy and satisfaction.  Giving doesn't have to be over the top grand..Just from the heart!!   You might not be able to give away $10. everyday, but think about it, there is something you can do.  Discover it and do it! 

For Reed, it's all about inspiring others to action...This is how Reed explains his efforts:

"My goal is not to change the lives of those with whom I come in contact. Let’s face it, $10 dollars is not going to change someone’s life in and of itself. I do believe, however, that the act of giving will hopefully inspire others to pursue the ideals that the French philosopher Auguste Comte envisioned when he coined the term “altruism.” Whether that comes in the form of someone who reads this blog and wants to embark on their own Year of Giving or someone who uses the $10 to help someone else out, the specific results are less important than the overall good that we can achieve together. I hope that you find yourself inspired today to do something special for someone. You would be surprised at how even something as simple as a smile or a thank you can make the difference in someone’s day. And remember, happiness is only real when shared.”

Reed has also included a page he calls Lend a Hand where he has listed the needs of some of the individuals he has assisted.  If you are so inclined to help out, he can provide you with the contact information for those in need of assistance.   Check out this blog, you will be glad you did! 

Source: Year of Giving

No comments:

Post a Comment

Japan Earthquake Relief

Shop My Zazzle Store


Make personalized gifts at Zazzle.